Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pie Done Right

It's been a while since I've posted. It's not that I didn't cook during this time, it's just I've been trying to get the house cleaned and my poison ivy rid of. YUK!

Here's a little peek at what I LOVE to do. I LOVE pies! Fruit pies, especially.

This is what I call 'done right'. A little slice...well, maybe not so little at times. A little whipped topping. A little ice cream. A little cup of coffee. Oh, a taste of heaven! My pie crust recipe is as follows. This includes a family secret. Don't tell anyone! LOL!!!

PIE CRUST

(for two crust pie, plus a little extra for decorating, if you wish)

3 cups of flour 

3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons of hard shortening

3/4 teaspoon of salt

Cut the shortening into the flour and salt.

Add enough milk to hold the flour mixture together. This should be dry and crumbly, but it should still hold together if you squeeze a little in your hand.

Roll out between waxed paper and put into pie plate. 

Prick the bottom of the crust, if you're filling with fruit. If you fill with liquid (like pumpkin), don't prick or the pie will stick to the pan.

Crimp the edges of the top and bottom crust together.

Prick, slit, or cut designs into the top crust to let out steam. This is very important!

Wet the top of the crust with either a little milk (preferred) or water. Sprinkle with sugar to make the crust sparkly.

Bake at 350 degrees until the crust is done. I like glass pie plates so I can see if the bottom of the pie is cooking when I check on it.

Note: This will make a two crust pie. If you want less crust, cut the recipe into thirds and work from there. 

Two family secrets: using milk to hold the dough together will make a flaky and tender crust. Rolling between waxed paper allows you to pick up the crust without breaking it when you put it into the pie plate.

Happy eating!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment