Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bento...kinda...

My Japanese friend and I were talking about Bento yesterday. In case you don't know what Bento is, I'll tell you in as simple of terms as possible.

Bento is a little of this, that and the other thing when it comes to making a breakfast or lunch. It is the style of putting together food items into an appealing arrangement while using either leftovers or first runs.

Let me show you my inspiration for this morning's breakfast for my hubby.

We have cubed cheddar, cottage cheese, raisin scone and pork sausage patty. He's diabetic, so I best watch what I give him. I should've put a bit of canned fruit in there, too. I had the room, but time is limited in the morning.

The box you put it in is a Bento box. Anything will do as long as it has a lid, but there are special boxes for Japanese meals. I need some style tips from my Japanese friend. Her blog is in my faves list to the right...Japanese Cooking Lovers. Check it out. There are some great recipes there and lots of tips for Japanese cooking.

Because of the economy, this style of meal is becoming popular. Of course, big cities like New York and DC already have this in fashion. But us little guys in the 'burbs of SC can do it as well.

Creativity is the key. Leftovers help, too!

Have a good day!

2 comments:

  1. Bento Banzai! I am looking forward to see more Obento pictures on your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kate. I'm a newbie at it, so please take it easy on me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete